Members' Terms and Conditions
Membership Terms and Conditions:
This notice applies to members of Cam FM only. Your Cam FM membership entitles you to the following, provided no sanctions have been imposed to the contrary:
- Use any Cam FM facilities that you have been trained to use, at a time agreed between you and the Committee
- Gain access to the Cam FM studio complex
- Broadcast or take part in an on-air programme at least once per week and have this programme carried in the published Cam FM listings
- Paid for entry to the Student Radio Awards for at least one entry
- One vote at the Cam FM AGM and Emergency General Meetings
As a Cam FM member, you are very likely to be offered, but are not necessarily entitled to the following:
- Full studio presenter / producer training in accordance to the currently active Cam FM Training Scheme
- Full training for any relevant Special Team that you choose to join
- Opportunity to attend 'Careers in the Media' events run by Cam FM
- Paid for entry for up to ten Student Radio Award entries
- Cam FM website features such as show pages and a Cam FM contact e-mail address
All membership expires at the beginning of week 2 of the Cambridge University Michaelmas full term (around 11th October). Membership fees are dependent on the number of weeks remaining until the next week 2 of Michaelmas full term:
- £22 for up to 53 weeks remaining (three terms)
- £20 for up to 40 weeks remaining (two terms)
- £10 for less than 26 weeks remaining (one term)
The Cam FM Committee reserve the right to grant a subsidised or free membership to individuals who can provide evidence of hardship, or who have demonstrated an outstanding level of input into the station.
Cam FM is a not-for-profit organisation with the aims of increasing listener choice in Cambridge and providing media experience to its members. To ensure that Cam FM can continue to meet these aims in the present and the future, a series of rules exist to ensure protection of Cam FM's licences, reputation and studio equipment.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in action brought against the station by Ofcom and other licensing bodies. We hope that you will understand that these rules ensure we can offer others the same opportunities we are offering you.
- Cam FM Studios may only be used by those with a valid membership plus their authorised guests
- The person who signs out the studio key is responsible for the studio and those inside the studio
- Guests are only allowed in the studio by prior permission from the Committee
- All Cam FM output must be of a politically impartial nature
- No swearing is permitted in the studio or on-air
- All studio usage must be cleared by Programme Controller in advance of usage
- All programmes must air the news, TOTH jingle and any advertisements from Playout on the hour every hours unless express advanced permission to skip the news has been given
- IF YOU CANNOT MAKE YOUR SHOW, YOU MUST INFORM THE PROGRAMME CONTROLLER (
) AT LEAST 48 HOURS IN ADVANCE. There is an Ofcom requirement that our schedules must be accurate 48 hours before going to air.
- Obscuring any studio webcam by any method (including turning lights off during a programme) is not permitted
- No food / drink is permitted in the studio areas. Food & drink may be consumed in the antestudio at the John's Studio, or in the adjoining rooms of the ARU Studio.
- Members will be liable for the costs of all damaged caused by the spillage of food and/or drink in the studio
- Chewing gum not permitted anywhere in the studio complex
- Mobile phones must be kept a sufficient distance away from the audio equipment to avoid audible interference
- Music for broadcast should not be played off Youtube
- Minimum music for broadcast bitrates: MP3-192bkps, OGG 160kbps, AAC+-128kbps, all stereo
- No Cam FM music may be removed from the studio complex except under explicit permission from Music Team
- The member who currently has studio key out is responsible for all music that goes missing during their studio hours
- NO SONG MAY CONTAIN PROFANITY - if you wish to play such a song, find a radio edit or ask the Head of Music (
) to make you one.
Reputation & Probity:
- Cam FM members may not bring the organisation into disrepute (whether on-air, in other media outlets or via their Facebook and other social media profiles.)
- Should a Cam FM member bring about a civil, criminal or Ofcom investigation against Cam FM, their Cam FM membership will automatically be terminated to ensure there is no conflict of interest. It will be at the Committee's sole discretion whether to reinstate the member's membership once such investigation has reach its conclusion.
All studio activities are recorded by CCTV, and all broadcast audio is retained for at least 42 days. Cam FM reserves the right to retain CCTV footage and broadcast audio indefinitely and reserves the right to monitor usage of the studio computer and Cam FM internet connections and reserves the right to monitor show attendance.
Cam FM reserves the right to impose the following sanctions without financial or legal liability, on members who are deemed to have violated the rules:
- Issue a warning
- Request a broadcast apology or amendment of previously aired programme content
- Temporary programme suspension from schedule
- Removal of programme from schedule
- Temporary suspension of membership (without refund)
- Revocation of membership (without refund)
- Lifetime ban from Cam FM
Where possible, Cam FM will use the minimum necessary measure to ensure compliance with the rules. Where sanctions are imposed, a reason will always be provided to the members affected.
In addition, the industry regulator Ofcom, is empowered to fine or revoke the broadcast licence of terrestrial broadcast radio stations such as Cam FM, and place conditions upon the programming content of Cam FM. In such cases Cam FM may impose more severe sanctions from the above list in order to comply with instructions from Ofcom.